Synopsis: Caltech's Philip Appleton, a staff scientist at IPAC Astronomy center talks about Stephan's Quintet of galaxies.
Learn More About It
The intersection of astronomy and chemistry is super exciting! Did you know that in the early search for the chemical element helium (He), it wasn't discovered on Earth? That's right. The element helium was named after the location of its discovery, Helios or the sun! The following links will help you understand the science underlying the James Webb Telescope integrated science instrument module (ISIM). Clicking on the links will take you away from our web site: come back to explore more! You can bookmark Freedom of Flight Museum Website as your favorite.
Level: Grade School
Level: High School / College
- How Astronomy Really Gets Done - video (one hour, twenty minutes)
- Introduction to Spectroscopy - Khan Academy
- Atomic Emission Spectroscopy
- Atomic Adsorption Spectroscopy
- Atomic Adsorption/Emission Spectroscopy